Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Crock-pot Salsa Chicken

I've always been scared of the crock-pot. I have no idea why. There is no rational explanation for it. If there was any appliance to be scared of it should be the blender or something. I think I was always worried I burn down the house or something. The idea of leaving something cooking all day while I was gone seemed insane to be and yet all these smart rational people are doing it. I know people who won't leave the dishwasher or dryer going when they're gone (I do), but will leave a crock-pot going. I equate it to leaving something on the stove and I think everyone agrees that's nuts. Why do crock pots get a pass?

I faced my fear today and tried a crock-pot recipe. I even left the house for awhile. I did my friend Wendy's recipe and we're using the chicken for shredded tacos tonight. I liked that I didn't have to touch the chicken at all. I just dumped it right into the pot. Cooking was pretty easy. I was concerned it wouldn't actually cook the chicken completely, but I just shredded it and it's done.

Oh my, it was fantastic! I never knew I could cook chicken this good. I'm so impressed with myself tonight. I made a good dinner! Remember, meat is a big deal for me!

I'm going to have to try her alternate option another time. I thought of adding a bit of Yumm sauce to it too.

Wendy's Crock Pot Salsa Chicken 
From: Wendy Walker
Printable Recipe

Frozen chicken breasts
Can/container of salsa (add a little water if it's really thick salsa)
Dash of lime juice

Let it cook all day on low. 

Shred, then have burritos, fajitas, tacos, nachos, etc.  Or, 10 minutes before eating, stir in a block of cream cheese and a couple of cups of cooked rice and eat with some beans.  Super yummy and super easy!  Also very easy to experiment with (add corn or add half sour cream and half cream cheese).

1 comment:

  1. Great! Now you're ready to cook a pork roast in the crock pot. Just add 1/2 a sweet onion and chop a small jalapeno, pop in the roast, put on the lid, set it on low, and 8-10 hours later you'll have enough pork to shred and last for several good meals.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails