Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chicken and Brown Rice Soup

No. No no no no no! The directions begin: remove skin from chicken. Unacceptable! How could I not read the directions before deciding to make this. Buying chicken thighs was a feat in itself. I've only ever brought breasts. Luckily, the thighs were easy to find, but I did almost walk off with drumsticks because of a misplaced sign. Now, I have to remove skin! No!! NO NO NO NO NO!!!! (temper tantrum ensues....)

The reasons I don't like to touch chicken are complicated. It's not just that it's slimy. I honestly could probably get over that. It's that it's slimy AND that it's meat. It's a part of an animal! It makes me really think about the fact that I'm touching and plan to eat the flesh and muscle of another animal. I then start wondering what the meat on my body is like. In an odd way touching chicken makes me think of cannibalism. If I touch raw chicken, it's hard for me to bring myself to eat that chicken. I don't know why. It's weird. But, here goes...

The soup was fantastic! A definite do over! Removing the skin wasn't fun, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Of course, I cooked it way longer than the directions said too, but I wanted to make sure they were done. Right at the end, you remove the chicken from the soup and then have to take the chicken off the bone. This wasn't terribly fun for me either, but it also wasn't as bad as I expected. Hey, I think I'm growing! Good for me!

Chicken and Brown Rice Soup
Adapted from Parents Magazine article
Printable Recipe

1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs
Salt and pepper
2 tsp canola oil
2 c diced onion
1 1/2 c diced celery
1 c frozen diced carrots
2 tsp sage
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp nutmeg
4 c low-salt chicken broth
1 c water
2 c cooked brown rice

Remove skin from chicken and season lightly with salt and pepper. Sear chicken in oil until golden brown, about 10 min. Mix onions, celery, carrots, sage, garlic powder, thyme, and nutmeg. Add to chicken in pan.  Saute until onions are translucent, 5 min. Add broth and water. Cover pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 min, until chicken pulls away from bone. Remove chicken, discard bones, add meat back to pot. Mix in rice, heat 2-3 min. Serves 8.

I made my first dessert for tomorrow's dinner. Boston Cream Pie. Yum!!!

1 comment:

  1. I hate touching chicken too. Your dad does it for me. He uses a pair of pliers to pull the skin off.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails