Friday, January 8, 2010

Beef and Veggie Stir Fry

The biggest complication of this meal is the beef. It began in the grocery store. The recipe calls for 1 lb of beef strips. I know how to buy chicken breasts and ground beef. That's it. I break into a sweat whenever I'm confronted with buying anything else. It's like I'm staring at thing-a-ma-jigs with foreign language on the packaging. It's almost worse than going to the hardware store in search of random thing-a-ma-jig. Maybe it is worse. At least at the hardware store they don't expect you to know everything. There are actually sales people wandering around ready to help you. At the grocery store, you feel pretty silly being confused by the beef. There were no beef strips. First I asked a nice older lady who was also in the aisle for help. She looked and didn't see any either. That made me feel better. I wasn't a complete idiot. Then, I had to talk to the meat counter people. The good news- they don't make beef strips anymore. I just had to buy the beef patties and slice it into smaller strips myself. Not a huge deal. But, the lady did act a bit like I should just *know* that beef strips were sirloin patties that can just be sliced.

I survived the grocery store and here I am cooking away. The recipe is pretty easy. I'm sure I'll overcook the meat though.

I didn't overcook the meat! And, it was pretty darn good. The stir fry sauce needs a bit of work though. It was a little too strong. Loved the ginger in it though!

Beef and Veggie Stir Fry
Adapted from Parents Magazine article
Printable Recipe

1 lb lean beef strips
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/4 tsp ground ginger, divided
3 Tbs reduced sodium soy sauce
2 Tbs water
1 Tbs rice wine vinegar
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 c chopped celery
1 lb mixed frozen stir fry veggies
2 tsp canola oil
2 c cooked brown rice

1. Season beef with salt, pepper and 1/4 tsp ginger. Combine soy sauce, water, vinegar, cornstarch, onion and garlic powders, and remaining ginger in a separate bowl. Mix celery and veggies in another bowl.
2. Heat wok or skillet on med-high. Add oil and beef; stir-fry, 2-3 min. Remove beef and set aside. Add veggies. Stir fry until veggies thawed, 4 min. Return beef to pan. Add sauce. Cook until sauce thickened, 2 min. Serve over rice.


An update on the Penne and Turkey Sausage meal. We had leftovers last night. I had a meeting so was gone when Austin and Charlotte ate. Austin said Charlotte ate the whole thing down, but she didn't like the stuff on the outside of the sausage either. He ended up cutting it off for her and she gobbled the sausage down. Austin said he hardly thinks of the "shrink wrap" when he's eating a sausage. It's almost all I can think about. Like mother like daughter I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails