Friday, January 29, 2010

Baked Chili Renellos

I think I messed up this recipe at the grocery store. I wrote down whole green chilies. I didn't really note what size of can to buy. The recipe calls for 3- 4oz cans. I bought 2- 27oz cans. I only ended up using 1- 27oz can tonight. I also realize now that I should have doubled the egg mixture given the size of can I bought, but I didn't. Math is not my strongest subject when I'm frantically trying to prep a meal while Charlotte eats lunch and Penelope is at the end of her nap and liable to wake up any moment.

The flavor was good, but I really think it needed the extra egg. I also think I'm just not a huge chili renellos person. I like chilies, but more an a small addition to a meal rather than the whole meal. It's just a bit too much chili for me. I was fun to go into completely uncharted territory though. I'd never seen or eaten chili renellos before so I had no idea what to expect as that can of green chilies was being opened.

Baked Chili Rellenos 
From: Sheila Blackburn

3-  4-oz  Cans whole green chilies (I used 1- 27 oz can)
½ lb  sharp cheddar cheese
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt

Casserole dish:  I used large casserole.  Can’t remember if I doubled recipe to fill it or not. Butter bottom of casserole. Gently take chilies out of can; Rinse to get rid of the seeds.  Arrange whole chilies in bottom of casserole.  Open each chili and fill with ‘a finger of cheese. Beat eggs, beat in the milk and flour.  Pour over chilies and bake in moderate over (350) for 45-50 minutes or until it sets like a custard or soufflĂ©. Serves 6-8.  Can be reheated.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for stretching out. They can be good with salsa on them, too. You are probably right about needing more egg stuff. You've figured it out for next time if you do them again... invite your Dad; he'll eat them :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails